The most stimulating and just the most.
I have two medical students and one fellow. Which is a particularly difficult combination to teach. You have students at the beginning their education and a fellow almost done with her formal training.
My fellow has already told me that she wants to focus on fluids and electrolytes which suits my interests perfectly. It also dovetails nicely with what medical students typically want to get out of a fourth year nephro rotation (especially after rank lists have been submitted).
My plan for the syllabus is:
- Mon: Na and water handout (PDF or Zip file for Pages) and Gatorade
- Tues: K handout (PDF or Zip file for Pages) and Fishoil+IgA
- Wed: ABG handout for med students (PDF or Zip file for Pages) and There is no T in ATN
Non-anion gap case vignettesAcid base problems
- Fri: Assignments for end-of-the-month presentation, more acid-base problems (Q/A), and alcohol and electrolyte disorders including beer drinkers potomania
- Mon: Ca, Phos, metabolic bone disease (PDF or Zip file for Pages), more acid-base problems
Collectively use mind maps to describe renal physiologyContinue to teach ABGs: Anion gap metabolic acidosis with gap-gap (delta gap) and osmolar gap (PDF or Zip file for Pages)
Mind the gap...osmotic gap, anion gap, stool osmolar gap, urinary anion gapBusy clinic, no time for any teaching
- Thurs: presentation of outlines/abstract of end-of-the-month presentation, non-anion gap metabolic acidosis PowerPoint presentation.
- Fri: Vacation (for me not the students)
- Mon: Vacation (for me not the students)
- Tues: Sarcoid-hypercalcemia case report
- Wed: Collectively use mind maps to create a guide for Na
F/E-ABG questions from NephSAP/MKSAPStudents at Match Day. Fellow at RPA. No teaching.
Urine electrolytes: what are they good for?F/E-ABG questions from MKSAP
Alcohol and its protean effects on electrolytesDid this March 6th
- Tues: first student/fellow presentation
- Wed-Fri: NKF Spring Clinical Meeting
- Mon: second student/fellow presentation
- Tues: third student/fellow presentation